Posted by : CS Nov 4, 2014

stilllife5

I wasn't really happy with my grapes today, but I didn't spend a lot of time on them. I thought the glass turned out fairly well.

I really like the method we use in class, which is start by outlining all the shapes - using a mixture of ultramarine blue and transparent oxide red. Then we make our shadows by taking the color of the object, it's compliment and a darker version of the color and we block in the shadows on the objects.

We use two brushes - a light brush and a dark one. After we have the shadows in, we block in the lights by mixing the color, adding white and if it is too bright using a tiny bit of the compliment to it.

Then we come back with our dark brush and do the darkest darks. Then transitions, then highlights.

;)

Leave a Reply

Leave a comment!

Subscribe to Posts | Subscribe to Comments

- Copyright © A Painting A Day